During the Meiji period this style was nearly made extinct. A new revival Myoanji temple was founded by Higuchi Taizan, however, he introduced a completely different set of honkyoku to the area from Seien Ryu, Kinko Ryu, Ikkan Ryu, and some other unknown sources. However, he did not include any of the honkyoku from the first Myoanji.
The first Myoanji temple in Kyoto served as the main Fuke Komuso headquarters of the Kansai region up until it’s destruction during the Buddhist persecutions of the Meiji Restoration. The honkyoku from this temple were preserved in the Kichiku Ryu which was later renamed the Shinpo Ryu by the last head of the school, Katsura Shozan (1856-1942). During the Edo period, Myoanji was largely independent from the Fuke sect headquarters Ichigetsuji in the capital. This is reflected in the music which has an entirely different notation system, Fu, Ho, U, We, Ya.