The natural scale – Minor Pentatonic (read right to left)
- Read from right-to-left
- The Japanese number for each of the five finger holes is shown to the far right
- Underneath the Katakana you’ll find the name of the note written in Romaji/English and the pitches for a 1.8 “D”
- Black dots represent closed finger-holes while ring are open finger-holes
- The horizontal dashes separate the front four finger-holes from the rear thumb-hole
- The > symbol (atari aka osu) shows the standard hole to “pop” in order to repeat a note
- Notice that Ha and I are played with the bottom two finger-holes closed.