The natural scale – Minor Pentatonic (read right to left)
- Read from right-to-left
- Underneath the Katakana you’ll find the name of the note written in English and the pitches for a 1.8 “D”
- A black dot represents a closed finger-hole while a ring is an open finger-hole
- The horizontal dashes separate the front four finger-holes from the rear thumb-hole
- The > symbol (“atari” /”osu“) shows the standard hole to “pop” in order to repeat a note
- The Japanese number for each of the five finger holes is shown to the far right
- Notice that Ha and I are played with the bottom two finger-holes closed.